what is taekwondo?
Taekwondo is a modern martial art, similar to Karate, but characterized by its fast, high and spinning kicks. There are multiple interpretations of the name Taekwondo but it is most often translated as ‘the way of hand and foot’.
Taekwondo has four disciplines:
It is the combination of these four disciplines that make the art of Taekwondo. By advancing through each belt rank, Taekwondo aims to develop an appreciation for Taekwondo as a sport and art, achieve physical fitness, improve mental discipline, learn self-defense skills and develop a sense of responsibility for one’s self and others.
You will notice:
In this class we will practice kicks, punches, blocks, how to fall properly, sparring (controlled fighting with pads on) and much more. Students will develop self-confidence and a great sense of accomplishment by ranking through each belt level and testing their skill progression.
frequently asked questions
Athletic wear. Shorts/sweatpants and a t-shirt (nothing with buttons or zippers). Please arrive a few minutes early as you will need to complete a waiver form before class.
Master Colin is a 6th degree blackbelt and is certified by World Taekwondo and the Han Moo Do Federation.
- Masks are now optional. If you send your child in wearing a mask, we will enforce your decision.
- Hand sanitizer stations are placed throughout the gym.
- Class sizes are limited to 10 students and students are assigned spots to encourage social distancing.
- 15-minute windows are allotted between classes to sterilize the mats and any equipment used.
- Students are given time when needed to remove their mask and get a drink or catch their breath.